Thursday, February 2, 2006

Port-ee Mouth

In case you haven't seen this yet, here's a little smack-talking that started yesterday. I actually saw footage of Joey Porter making these comments, and he looked half asleep...

Here's an article with all the juicy details. Notice the ridiculous title of the piece. "Near-guarantee" ??

If Porter needed someone to talk smack to get him motivated, he's got problems.

I don't have a problem with what Stevens said. All he said is it'll be sad if Bettis doesn't get the trophy with all the hype. Except instead of saying "if" he said "when". I find it hard to believe that no Steeler made a similar comment this week. Big deal. What the hell is a "near-guarantee" anyways? I'll tell you what it is - shit the media is inventing. :P

Porter and the media needed to dig pretty deep to find that "near-guarentee" to get them revved up. Guess the week has been too boring so far.

Stevens also said that Porter might have a tougher time blitzing against what most of the league and media consider the best offensive tackle in the game, Walter Jones. Uhhhh, oh yeah, that's a real daring and bold prediction there.

And for Porter to call Stevens "soft" is just the generic insult players throw around. "A first-round bust who barely made some plays this season," he calls him? This is Stevens' 4th season in the league, and he was stuck behind an established and solid veteran at the position. It's a bit early to be calling him a bust.

I'm still baffled how the league did not fine Porter for bashing the officials and basically blame them for cheating.

He's right about one thing though, they will match up time after time after time during the game. Stevens is 6'7", 265 pounds, quick, with good hands. Porter is 6'3", 250.

Since I was "working from home" (while my new TV was delivered and my DirectTV upgraded to HD for the big game) yesterday, I watched the NFL Network all day, and they had live coverage from Detroit for 5 hours straight. And they haven't even mentioned this at all. It didn't come up until the "Around The Horn" show later on ESPN and Pardon the Interruption.

Stevens' numbers this year, who "barely made some plays":
Regular Season: 45 catches, 554 yards, 5 TDs
Post Season: 8 catches, 79 yards, 1 TD

Antween Randle El, the #2 WR (WR, not TE) on the Steelers (both on the depth chart and statistically):
Regular Season: 35 catches, 558 yards, 1 TD
Post Season: 9 catches, 97 yards, 1 TD

I also liked Stevens rebuttal:

Stevens found Porter's comments amusing.

"I think that will make it more exciting. That fuels the fire," Stevens said. "He's an up-tempo guy and playing that way is why football is fun."

Then, reflecting on what Porter said, he added, "He said I'll be on my back?"

Stevens flashed a smile.

"We'll see."

That's right. We WILL see.

4 comments:

  1. this is just dumb SB hype - it was inevitable - and I suppose part of the two week gap. I am still waiting on the transvestite story to drop....involving porter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, St. Ides, you now officially have the coolest wife. I may sit and watch the games w/ Mr. Samichlaus. I may even go to Green Bay to see Favre play at home AND freeze me arse off to get a football filled w/ signatures...

    But I can't see my way clear to get a projection TV just for the Super Bowl.

    ...Although I wouldn't object to a new wide screen w/ High Def.

    Just don't tell Mr. Samichlaus that little tid-bit!

    ReplyDelete