Friday, January 8, 2010

Your Saturday Games.

I feel like crap. I started sneezing Thursday morning at around 2:30 AM and have not been right since. I'm taking Claritin and Benadryl, and shooting some Vicks nasal spray up my honker for good measure. I have band practice tomorrow and haven't picked up an instrument since New Years Eve. So please constant reader take Ol' Samichlaus's picks with a grain of salt, or at least a shot of Makers Mark which I had plenty of on said Eve. And maybe just maybe if I feel up to it, we'll do Sundays games tomorrow...

New York Jets at Cincinnati Bengals (-2.5)
After what the Jets did to the Bengals last week, I was a bit dumb struck that the Bengals were listed as the favorites. However, the more I think about it the more it makes sense. The Jets are a one dimensional team: stop the run and you beat them, and last week the Jets ran all over the Bengals. The O line of the Jets were blowing guys up all over the field: it was almost as though the Bengals were playing possum. When the Jets ran their Wildcat formations, the Bengals simply let them score. It was too good to be true. I think this week is going to be different. I really do think that to some extent the Bengals were indeed playing possum. And the Bengals have been hard to beat at home. I like what the Jets have done this season. They have a great defense. They have a great O line. And they have a QB with tremendous upside in Mark Sanchez. Rex Ryan seems to be a good head coach. The team took a good first step this year, but it ends here. I like the Bengals to win and cover.   Bengals 24 Jets 17

Philadelphia Eagles at Dallas Cowboys (-3.5)
This is hard for me to admit but the Cowboys right now are playing the best football in the NFC. In fact, Tony Romo has been absolutely lights out the last 3 weeks. The Cowboys D has pitched two consecutive shutouts, and most importantly the team has gotten behind beleagured coach Wade Phillips. I really hate the Cowboys. But the Eagles, that's a whole other story. I watched the game Sunday at a bar in North Carolina, and the Eagles were absolutely pathetic. The thing that struck me is that they had something to play for and they didn't bother to show. The Cowboys dominated every aspect of the game and won easily. They clearly have built up enough momentum to carry them into this week. I'll take the Cowboys in a game that won't be close:   Dallas 34 Philadelphia 14

1 comment:

  1. OK, I totally blew the Jets game. Good for the Jets! Turns out my drummer is a Jets fan. Tonight there is joy in a small part of the west end of Richmond... oh, and in a small part of Poughquah NY where I'm sure my cousin is doing the pee pee dance...

    Now, as far as the Cowboys - Eagles go, Ol' Samichlaus nailed that one dead on: 34 - 14. Just thought I'd wave my own flag a bit!

    ReplyDelete