Friday, January 8, 2010

The new Anonymous?

Here at SBS we love it when our reader gets involved. Back when Anonymous graced these pages a tradition of back and forth banter was established between those who read and those who wrote. Indeed when Mrs. Samichlaus (aka Kiki) was a regular contributor I actually had a reasonable chance to improve my odds of having nookie by simply acknowledging her comments as a loyal SBS reader. So I wanted to take a moment to address Wisconsin's own Dan Glarus who had this to say after we failed to provide picks for week 17:

"apparently week 17 isn't important enough to comment on...or are you saving your predictions for for wildcard (or should I say) rematch weekend."

Yoiks and away

Dan, let me apologize. We are sorry that we didn't post picks last week.

Of course at some point you must have read the ongoing saga with St. Ides, uhh, ziti pool. Of course St. Ides would never compete in a money pool since such pools are illegal. St. Ides was leading his ziti pool by three games going into week 16 and had calculated that he needed six winners over the course of 2 weeks to win 5000 boxes of ziti. The way his ziti pool works is each player donates 200 boxes of ziti at the beginning of the season. Then the players pick five winners against the point spread every week. At the end of the season the records against the spread are counted up and the person with the most wins gets to take home all the ziti. Now don't for a minute think that just because St. Ides is Irish means he doesn't like ziti. St. Ides loves ziti as much as any of us, oh and lets not forget that the beautiful Mrs. St. Ides is Italian.

Anyway,week 16 turned out to be quite a disaster. St. Ides went 1-4 while the number two guy went 5-0. St. Ides was in second place, which really made him sad because as I mentioned before he really likes ziti:

Kill me now. I go 1-4, the guy right behind me goes 5-0. Un-fucking-believable. Talk about a choke job. I go from 3 game lead to trailing by 1.

I'm really about to jump out my window. Sadly, it's only 1 story up, so I'd probably only sprain an ankle.

Oh, and all 4 late games were very important to me. At halftime, all 4 were going my way. By the end, all 4 had gone against me. Between this and Seattle seemingly going reverting to their shitty pre-Holmgren days, I can't ever remember hating football so much.

Steve St. Ides


The truth is I really couldn't ask St. Ides to think about football last week. I mean if the whole ziti thing isn't enough please remember that St. Ides roots for the Seahawks. I mean, even Redskins fans have something to look forward to next season. But not St. Ides.

I haven't heard from my partner in crime this week. I imagine they're still adjusting his medications. Oh, and if St. Ides won his ziti pool I'm sure he would have let me know. So no, we didn't do picks last week, but tell you what: I'll make sure I share my opinions about rematch weekend later today.

And as for St. Ides, I hope he makes some picks. I enjoy reading his opinions as I am sure all of our reader do.

1 comment:

  1. Well, yeah, no, I didn't win. The bastard went 4-1 this week. Yes, that's right, the guy who trailed me by 3 games 2 weeks ago proceeded to go on a 9-1 run and win the 5000.. uhhhh.. boxes of ziti.

    I went 3-2 this final week and did manage to take home 2000 boxes of ziti for 2nd place. Which I can't really complain about. I can't help but feel like I choked a bit. Although if I try to look at it without emotion, I have to tip my hat to guy for going 9-1 when it mattered most. He also won the weekly $200 prize in week 16 and split it in week 17. So he had the best week out of anyone in the entire pool for the two final weeks of the season.

    I'm going to try and find time to throw together some wild card picks tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete