Sunday, December 3, 2006

A few thoughts before I start my killing spree...

Over the last three weeks, my Packers have lost convincingly to Anonymous's favorite team (Patriots), St. Ides's favorite team (Seahawks) and my cousin Frank's favorite team (Jets). Next week we play my brother Vinnie's favorite team (49'rs) and I have no reason to believe this drubbing will cease.

First of all, Anonymous was dead on balls regarding the Jets. The 3-4 D baffled and befuddled the hapless Packers, whose offensive line played like they were starting 3 rookies or something. I didn't think things could look any worse than they did during the Patrios game three weeks ago, but after giving up 31 first half points to the Jets I had to admit, they did. There's something else too: Favre looked old again. He's missing open guys and he's terrible going downfield. Some of that is on the receivers who are great at getting seperation at the line but awfull at stretching the field. Just once I'd like to see a Packer receiver with two steps on a defensive back, but alas, Robert Brooks isn't out there. Neither is Corey Bradford or Andre Rison for that matter. I love Driver and Jennings, but we need a guy with speed. Shit, I'd take Randy Moss at this point.

But the disgrace of this team is its defense. This was supposed to be an improved unit over last year, and they're not. In fact they're terrible, and it begins and ends with the coaching staff. Last year, Jim Bates coached a team with a fraction of the talent that this team has, and finished with the 10th ranked defense in the league. This year, it's Bates's assistant Bob Sanders at the helm and he's in way over his head. Sanders is a nice guy. I met him in Green Bay and got his autograph. He had this to say to me about Arizona "They're a very good football team". I can't imagine what he had to say about the Jets. "Ohhhh GODDDDD!!!! I CANT STOP THEM!!!! GODDDD! HERE THEY COME AGAIN!!!!!" Or something like that, I imagine. I hate Bob Sanders and I hate Kurt Schottenheimer, and I'm disgusted with Ted Thompson for bringing them all to Green Bay.

Two weeks ago, someone asked a reporter if he thought there was any chance that Jim Bates might return to coach D for the Packers. The reporter didn't really have an opinion, but he did say that Bates still lived in Green Bay.

Get Jim Bates back, and maybe I'll start tolerating Ted Thompson again.

One other thought before I go: this morning my wife remarked that I never blog about her anymore. In fact, she punctuated her comments with a beautiful rendition of "You don't bring me flowers". I reminded her that I hardly have time to write ANYTHING these days, and that I did write a really nice post about her on our other site the day after Thanksgiving. However I would like to mention that today she spent the day going through some old boxes of clothes and collected 6 or 7 bags for charity. She also got some Christmas presents for the triplets and got rid of several pairs of old shoes. And throughout all of this I was not subjected to any pictures of her ex boyfriends penises. Now that's what I call Thanksgiving

4 comments:

  1. well - its gotta be tough being a packers fan - they aren't too good these days.

    more truth:

    even though the Pats are 9 - 3, they just don't seem to good to me. Stat of the year: Last 2 pats games - 8 turnovers....they won both of these games...not a SB contender statistic - thats just a fact - one hard for me to live with...truth hurts

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, its working

    The Seahawks are winning games in Dec, I figured there would be more posting going on....no?

    bored over here....need stuff to bitch about besides the fumbling pats. how could the Lions pass on Leinart when they have talented WR's - i suppose you could make that statement about 15 other teams

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is that Lions question a trick question? Matt Millen has got to be a sports fans worst nightmare. Imagine if your favorite team had the worst GM in the history of professional sports, and the owners of the team refused to fire him. FOR SEVEN YEARS. AND THEY GIVE THE INCOMPETENT FUCKER A 5 YEAR CONTRACT EXTENSION.

    The Lions passed on Leinart because that's what the Lions do.

    Terrible, ain't it?

    ReplyDelete