Friday, November 2, 2007

Week 9 Picks (We're back!)

Annnnnnd, we're back! So Anonymous can STFU. Here's part 1.

...and here's part two! It's great to be blogging about sports again, because that's what we're all about. Well that and crushing our enemys, but I digress. This is a terrific weekend for football and I can't wait to get started.



Last Time We Picked:
St. Ides: 7-6
Samichlaus: 5-8

Season:
St. Ides: 36-37
Samichlaus: 23-50


BUCANNEERS -3.5 over Cardinals
Bucs had a tough loss last week at home against the surprising Jags. I think they take out their frustration on the enigmatic Cards this week. It looks like Kurt Warner is going to tough it out and continue to play with his left elbow in a ridiculously large brace. But I've said it once, I'll say it again - get a little pressure and Warner and knock him around, and he becomes very ineffective in a hurry. Bucs 20, Cardinals 13.

I agree with St. Ides. The Bucs at home gets 'em at least 3 points, and frankly I think the Cards are going to fold on the road. Bucs 24 Cards 17

TITANS -4.5 over Panthers
The Titans and Vince Young haven't been to impressive lately, but they keep winning somehow. Meanwhile, it looks like the Panthers are going back to David Carr at QB after the Vinny Testaverde experiment. Not sure if that's good or bad.

You gotta love Vinnie. First of all, he goes by Vinnie. Second of all, he's the only QB in the league that makes Brett Favre look like a kid. I'm not sure what's wrong with the Panthers, but man has John Fox's coaching stock dropped these days. I'll take the Titans by a TD. Titans 27 Panthers 20


BILLS +0.5 over Bengals
I just don't trust this Cinci team at all right now. They seem like they're about to implode. Throw in the fact that the Bills have looked pretty good lately (including that game they shoulda won against the Cowboys), and I'll go with them. Bills 27, Bengals 26.

I usually like the Bills at home, but not this week. That line is too close and the Bills keep finding ways to lose. If Marshawn Lynch has a good day this could go there way but I'm betting he doesn't. The weather has been unseasonably fair upstate, so I'm going with the Bengals. Bengals 20 Bills 17


Redskins -3.5 over JETS
The Mangini bad karma curse continues yo! Although it seems like they're going to (finally) bench Chad Pennington and give that Clemens kid a chance. I forget his first name, is it Kelly? When was the last time we had a successful NFL QB with the first name Kelly? Anyways, Jets stink. Skins 20, Jets 10.

I dated a Kelly once, and she was very pretty. Why oh why do parents continue to give their sons chick names? I used to work with a guy whose first name was Kim and his middle name was Leslie. Its no wonder this guy had to go to China to find a drinky drink girl so he could cheat on his wife. Uh oh, there I go again... uhh, Skins 17 Jets 10


CHIEFS -2.5 over Packers
The Chiefs defense has looked pretty damn good since they got Jared Allen back. He's been a sack machine, and likely will harass Favre most of the day. I actually like the Packers chances in this game, but after winning in Denver last week, asking them to win in KC the following week is a pretty tall order. If they pull that off, a back-to-back sweep of KC and Denver in THEIR stadiums (both tough to win in), the Packers are officially the team to beat in the NFC. (Screw the Cowboys.) Chiefs 17, Packers 13.

One thing that surprised me on Monday was the Packers ability to run the ball. Then again me, Mrs. Samichlaus, St. Ides and Anonymous could probably muster a good running game against the Broncos. I always like the Chiefs at home, but the Packers are starting to believe in themselves. Another odd fact is the Packers (like myself) have become quite the road warriors under Mike McCarthy, posting a better away record than home record. I'm going to be a fan here and take the Packers for the win. Packers 15 Chiefs 10 (PS: betting tip to Anonymous: take the under.)


Chargers -7.5 over VIKING
Seems the Chargers are back on track. Let me take a moment to give a lesson in the english language. The phrase is "on track". As in "they were off the track before, so now we're getting them back on track." I've seen, heard, read, and seen some more way too many "professional" media types use the phrase "untracked". Like "the Chargers have finally gotten untracked." Wouldn't untracked be the opposite of on track? Like they got knocked off the tracks? Why has nobody done a widespread education process of this all-too-misued phrase? Jesus H. Christ, it's common sense. It almost seems at this point that it's been misused so much, that people have just given in and accepted its new meaning. And it pisses me off. Anyways, Vikings blow. Brooks Bollinger (who couldn't cut it with the QB-challenged Jets) will likely start. Chargers 26, Vikings 10.

LOL!!! This is great! Last week I heard Steve Czaban rip Peter King for refering to Favre's touchdown pass as "arching" as opposed to "arcing". He also ripped King for admitting that he "went to bed before the end of the fourth quarter". Czaban correctly pointed out that it's his job to stay awake. Anyway, I hate the Vikings, but they've got something special in Adrian Peterson and they're starting to figure it out. I like the Vikes to keep it close: Chargers 31 Vikings 27

Broncos +3.5 over LIONS
Are the Lions for real? I have no idea. Their record is decent, but they've mostly beaten up on crappy teams. Are the Broncos a crappy team? I have no idea, they might be. Anyways, I'm going to guess that the Lions are not as good as their record, and the Broncos are not as bad as theirs. Broncos 23, Lions 21.

The Lions are the only team that scares me in the NFC North. They've beaten the Bears twice and are starting to get a little confidence. The Broncos are OK, but they are not a good road team. Take the Lions and give the points: Lions 31 Broncos 20.


Niners +3.5 over FALCONS
Wow, if the Falcons are actually favorites, you know the Niners are horrible. I'll take the points in what could be the Stinker or the Week! Oh wait, I see a worse game... Hold that thought a moment... Niners 20, Falcons 18.

I'm not going to peek, so I have to say I can't imagine what could be worse than this one. I won't waste a lot of time on it, but I'll take the Niners as well Niners 17 Falcons 10


SAINTS -3.5 over Jaguars
The Jaguars have some dude at QB I've never heard of before.. Something Gray I think? Anyways, somehow he didn't blow the game last week against the Bucs. (It helped the Jags D forced like 4 turnovers.) But this week, in New Orleans, I think he's exposed against the rejuvenated Saints. Saints 23, Jags 9.

That's a bold final score. I like the Saints as well. They're playing better, they're playing at home, and they're playing against a team led by, uhh, hold on I'm gonna look this up, Quinn Gray? OK. He's led the Frankfort Galaxy to the World Bowl, attended Florida A&M, and "possesses a strong arm and an ability to make plays". Yep, Saints win: Saints 30 Jags 10

BROWNS -1.5 over Seahawks
Dereck Anderson has looked awesome. He has more TD passes than anyone in the league except for Brady. Former Wolverine Braylon Edwards has turned into a top WR and Kellen Winslow is pretty dangerous as well. Coming off the bye under Holmgren, Seattle is something like 2-6. However, those 2 wins were in the past 2 years, when the coach has given the team the whole week off during the bye week. He did it again this year. Will that trend continue? I don't trust it to. Basically, the only way Seattle has a chance is if their inconsistent but talented defense can get pressure on the QB. If not.. it's going to be a very long day for the secondary. Browns 27, Seahawks 20.

Well, I hate to say it, but I agree. Seattle will hit stride in the second half but it's going to be too late. The Browns will jump on the rusty Seahawks early and will have enough points to hold them off. I'll take the browns by 4 Clevland 24 Seattle 20


COLTS +4.5 over Patriots
The undefeated defending Super Bowl champs getting points at home? That's pretty frickin crazy. I'm having a tough time deciding if I should Tivo the Seattle game and watch this one or not. That's what I would do IF there were a way to avoid knowing the Seattle score. Which of course with all the gamebreaks and tickers and updates and whatnot, is frickin impossible. So I'll probably watch the Seattle game and Tivo this one. And if the game turns out to be the classic some people think it can be, I'll watch it instead of the Cowboys-Eagles later that night. Good plan, no? Oh, I didn't talk about the actual game at all, did I? The Colts offense should be able to move the ball. It's really a question if the Colts defense can contain the Patriots enough. They have enough film and stuff now to work with at this point in the season, and I think Moss can be frustrated if knocked around and shut down early. And if any "role player" is going to go for Brady's knees, wouldn't it make sense to be someone on the Colts? Not only are the Patriots the biggest challenge to them repeating as Super Bowl champs, but Brady is seriously threatening Manning's TD record right now. Vinatieri with the game winning boot. Colts 32, Patriots 30.

The Colts have held the upper hand for the last three seasons in this rivalry, but I have little doubt that New England will win this game easily. Although both teams are undefeated, I honestly can't remember a team as good as this group from New England. First of all, no one lays a hand on Tom Brady. I mean, what have they given up, like 7 sacks? Second of all, the Colts haven't steamrolled teams the way the Patriots have. What the Pats did to the Redskins was almost unfathomable. That's a good football team in DC and the Patriots treated them like a high school squad. Maybe the crowd noise will keep it close, but in the end the Pats will win by 10. Pats 30 Colts 20


RAIDERS -2.5 over Texans
Ah yes, here it is, I promised you.. the Stinker of the Week! Sage Rosenfals (who couldn't win the job in QB-starved Miami) gets the start for the suddenly unimpressive Texans. Speaking of unimpressive, just as I was gloating about how I had said the Raiders aren't as bad as people think they are, they took a nose-dive and started proving me wrong. Anyways, the only reason this game is getting any attention is because it's preventing people in Houston and Oakland from seeing the Pats-Colts game. Raiders 19, Texans 13.

Oh. BTW, in case anyone missed it, the Texans released ex Packer wunderkind Samkon Gado last week, who was quickly picked up by the worst team in the NFL, the Miami Dolphins. I hope he enjoys the weather while he's there, because the next stop for the Nigerian Nightmare is Canada. Meanwhile I'll go with the Raiders at home, just cause St. Ides says so. Raiders 23 Texans 17


EAGLES +3.5 over Cowboys
I'll keep this short and sweet. Romo and the Cowboys are overrated. Romo has been hanging out with Britney Spears and crew. This is a divisional matchup. It's in Philly. And McNabb's knee has looked better as of late. Eagles 26, Cowboys 23.

TONY ROMO AND BRITNEY SPEARS? Dear God, what in the name of Redneck Jesus is going on here? That's a baaaaad sign, what with the new contract and Britney to spend it all. Jesus. OK, back to football, I'm going to go with the Cowboys. The 'boys have easily handled everyone they've played, well except for that loss to New England, and the Eagles are too inconsistant. I won't mind being wrong about this game: Cowboys 37 Eagles 27



Ravens +9.5 over STEELERS
The Steelers have looked good at times. That's just way too many points to give in a divisional rivalry against a defense as good as Baltimore. They're not as dominating as past years, but they're still above average. Steelers 17, Ravens 13.

Agreed. If the Ravens can shut down Willie Parker this game will close, and I'm betting they can Take the Ravens and the points: Steelers 20 Ravens 17

5 comments:

  1. The line moved to Pats +5 INDY, which is insane considering Indy is the SB champ, plus they are undefeated, PLUS they are home. They can clearly play we are getting the no respect card, while Pats play hey we cheated card, and pissed at everyone for finding out card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes on Cleveland...poor St Ides may never blog again.

    Pats played their worst game of the year, and got a W on the road against a very good team. 72 Dolphins just pooped themselves

    ReplyDelete
  3. has this blog ended...or what?

    This season started out soo promising, but then it a small downhill tumble began that spiraled out of control and turned into a a complete and utter disaster.

    SO LONG SBS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah yeah, I know... we suck. C'mom, give us a break. You know that St. Ides goes into a friggin shell every time the Seahawks lose. Besides, today is travel day. That means long airport delays for Samichlaus which means plenty of blogging time tonight!

    Tell you what, I'll make sure to write about how wonderful the Patriots are, just to shamelessly lure you back to SBS.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thats ALL I ask, thank you!

    ReplyDelete