Friday, December 21, 2007

Week 16 Picks (Almost Playoff Time!)

Two weeks left, and not a whole lot of drama. 7 of the 8 divisions are wrapped up. And there's only about 8 or so teams vying for the 4 wild card spots both conferences (with the Giants and Browns having to choke totally to lose 2 of those...)

Boy, I am so glad I checked the blog this morning! First off, was it me or did Dallas get every significant call last night? I had that sick feeling come over me while watching the game, you know the one? The same one I had after that Seattle - Pittsburgh Super Bowl? Thank goodness there's the national media out there to tell me I'm a paranoid lunatic....

Anyways, here we go!

Last Week:
Samichlaus: 7-8
St. Ides: 6-9

Season:
St. Ides: 57-61
Samichlaus: 46-72

PANTHERS +10.5 over Cowboys
Don't look now, but a sore thumb and Jessica Simpson are destroying the Cowboys season! The Panthers actually looked halfway decent last week against Seattle. I'll take 10 points at home, thank you very much. Cowboys 24, Panthers 23.

I can't comment on this one but if anyone cares I would have taken the Panthers and the points.

BILLS +2.5 over Giants
Giants are in a bit of trouble. Shockey is gone for the season. They should have locked up a playoff spot by now, but they haven't. Eli is inconsistent. I would LOVE to have the Giants come to Seattle in the first round. Which means Seattle stays at #3 and the Giants fall to #6. A loss here helps that along. Bills 17, Giants 13.

Agreed. Add to that the fact that the Bills are tough at home, and play tough every week. Besides, it's time for the yearly December swoon of any Coughlin coached team. I like the Bills to win outright in a low scoring game. Bills 17 Giants 10

SAINTS -3.5 over Eagles
Saints are fighting for their playoff lives. And while the Eagles have shown some fight recently, I like the Saints in this one. Saints 23, Eagles 17.

The rule of the more desperate team applies. The Saints need this game more than the Eagles, and will win easy at home. Saints 27 Eagles 13

BEARS +8.5 over Packers
If you would have told anyone that the Bears would be a 9 point underdog to the Packers in Chicago on week 16, people would have thought you were nuts. Well, here we are. Bears defense kinda blows, their offense is horrendous, and the Packers could very well still grab home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs if they pass the Cowboys in the next two weeks. Packers 20, Bears 13.

That's a lot of points but I'll take the Packers to cover. The Pack has won 16 of their last 17 in Illinois, and are looking to avenge one of their two losses. Favre always plays well in Soldier Field. The Pack will put up 30 easy, but outside of Devon Hester and Brian Urlacher, who is going to score for Chicago? Packers 31 Bears 10

Chiefs +4.5 over LIONS
Remember when the Lions were 6-2? It was only 6 weeks ago. Now they're 6-8. Where's your God now, Jon Kitna? Lions 20, Chiefs 17.

Is Kitna one of those "Thank you Jesus" guys? I had no idea! After the loss to the Cowboys it all fell apart for Detroit. I like the Chiefs as well, but I'll say they win outright. Chiefs 34 Lions 20

Texans +7.5 over COLTS
The Texans have shown some spirit lately. Oddly enough, a lot of that spark has come from backup QB Sage Rosenfels and former #1 pick Mario Williams. Who now looks like a better choice than both Reggie Bush and Vince Young. Colts 26, Texans 20.

A lot of very smart people are taking the Texans this week, but I don't see it. Colts at home usually covers and Sage Rosenfels (who gets second place in the "Most ethnic sounding name" catagory to Vinny Testaverde) ain't all that. Colts 34 Texans 17


Browns -2.5 over BENGALS
I like what the Browns have done. I have much love for their offense. Meanwhile, the Bengals suck. And there's some talk that the egos of Ocho Cinco and TJ Whosyourmama is starting to wear thin in the Cinci locker room. Browns 31, Bengals 17.

If you told me the Browns would have the better record at this stage of the season say, last September, I'd have recommended therapy. Meanwhile I agree with St. Ides's sentiment, I like what the Browns have done as well. Browns 24 Bengals 21

Raiders +12.5 over JAGUARS
The Raiders stuck in there against the Colts last week. The Jags look good, but it seems they're pretty much locked into the #5 seed, so not a whole lot to play for. Jaguars 23, Raiders 13.

That's a lot of lettuce 12.5, but I'm going to take it only because this game is at Jacksonville. The Jags may try to build a little playoff momentum so lets go Jags 34 Raider 17

Falcons +10.5 over CARDINALS
*Sniff sniff* What's that smell? Yep, it's the Stinker of the Week! Cardinals actually seemed like they might threaten for a playoff spot until they got hit hard with injuries. Oh well, that's life in the NFL. Cardinals 20, Falcons 10.

I got burned by the Falcons last week who I swore would rise up for Emmit Thomas. Wrong again. Can the Cardinals beat anyone by 10.5? Who cares. Cardinals 24 Falcons 10

Bucanneers -6.5 over NINERS
Bucs can still beat out Seattle for the #3 seed. Which may mean the difference between playing the Giants instead of the Vikings. Niners got a little lift by some rookie QB last week. But he wasn't playing the Tampa Bay D. Bucs 20, Niners 6.

I like the Bucs too, in fact they're my sleeper team in the playoffs. The Niners at home might get a few points, but I stll think the Bucs win by a TD. Bucs 24 Niners 13

Dolphins +21.5 over PATRIOTS
I'm not giving any more huge 20-point spreads any more this season. Not when the Pats game is so dependent on the long ball, the temperature is dropping, and there's a threat of snow every weekend. Pats 27, Fins 9.

This game isn't any different than last weeks game. Pats win, but not by 22. Pats 24 Dolphins 7

TITANS -8.5 over Jets
Titans are still alive! (Not much more to add here other than the Jets blow.) Titans 27, Jets 16.

I will add one comment: the Jets need a QB who has at least as strong an arm as St. Ides, and it ain't Chad Pennington. When Chad was a bit younger he had just enough of an arm to get by, but not anymore. I saw a good part of that Pats game and thought "this guy is a joke". Titans 24 Jets 10

Ravens +8.5 over SEAHAWKS
After last week's debacle against the Panthers and a rookie QB, the Seahawks get to face another rookie QB in former Heisman winner Troy Smith. Let's just say it only takes one horrible week to destroy any confidence I had in this team. Seahawks 24, Ravens 20.

I feel you pain brother. After watching the Panthers last night I couldn't help but wonder what the living fuck was wrong with Seattle last week? However, I'm going the other way. I like Seattle by 10. Seattle 34 Ravens 17

Redskins +6.5 over VIKINGS
This line is WAY too high. The Vikings have gotten back in the playoff hunt against crappy teams. The Redskins are not a crappy team. And with a win, I believe the Skins jump the Vikes for the final NFC Wild Card spot. YOu've got to believe there's a lot of emotion and unity on Washington right now given the whole Sean Taylor tragedy. I'll take the Skins to win fairly easily. Redskins 23, Vikings 10.

I like the Skins too. I'm not convinced they can win this game outright, but St. Ides is correct: the Skins are playing at an emotional fever pitch. I hope they can win... I like that team. Vikings 27 Redskins 24

Broncos +8.5 over CHARGERS
You would have thunk this game might mean something with regards to the AFC West division title. Or at least a wild card berth for one of the teams. It doesn't. Chargers 31, Broncos 24.

San Diego has played good football lately, I think. The truth is I really haven't followed either of these teams all that close, well except for the occasional shot of LT having a little hissy fit. That stuff torques me off. I'll take the Chargers: Chargers 31 Broncos 20

No comments:

Post a Comment