Thursday, January 20, 2005

Championship Games Picks

So who's going to the Super Bowl and who's going home? What chances do we say there might be for an all Pennsylvania Super Bowl? Is it possible we might actually have more than 2 readers these days? These questions and more will be answered. Right now...

As always, St. Ides picks in blue, Samichlaus in green...



I'm probably slightly insane taking both road teams in the conference finals, but with how awful my picks have been lately, I could stand a little insanity to try and shape things up:



Falcons (+5) over EAGLES

Forecast: Snow and wind. Vick versus McNabb. Sketchy receivers versus sketchy receivers. Really good defense that gets a lot of recognition versus a pretty good defense that doesn't get a lot of notice. I'm going to go with the Falcons just because I don't think they'll even have to throw very much. With their running game (1st in the league this year, I might add) of Vick, Dunn, and Duckett, they have a nice combination there that keeps the defense off balance just enough. Oh, and their O-line is now coached by the old Denver O-line coach who teaches his linemen to go for the knees. Nice. Let's see if Trotter can avoid them. I think this comes down to Vick making one or two highlight film plays, McNabb making one or two "up for grabs" throws (that his team doesn't grab), and the pressure just being too much for the Eagles.

Falcons 23, Eagles 18




The question that begs to be asked is “Will the aforementioned snow and wind slow down Vick enough to make him a non factor?” I see the Falcons as a one dimensional team: Vick. With poor weather in the forecast, Vick becomes human. Don’t be surprised if the grass is a little thicker this week either. All year long I’ve bet against Philly. I’ve been certain that they are not as good as they’re given credit for. All year long I’ve been wrong. I’m picking Philly, but I’m rooting for the human highlight film. I’ve decided I hate Philly.

Eagles 24 – Vicks 10




Pats (-3) over STEELERS

Forecast: Snow and wind. It's a little surprising that the Pats are a 3 point favorite on the road to the #1 seed, but I think that's probably a reaction to the way the betting is going. Everybody is taking the Pats. What is fresh in everybody's mind is their dismantling of the Colts and Pittburgh's close call against the Jets. Nobody remembers that the Steelers pretty much man-handled the New England back in week 8. But a couple things to remember: Corey Dillon didn't play. And the Pats O-line was banged up. This time, they have Dillon back, and their line healthy. They have the confidence and swagger. They have the linebackers and defensive schemes to make Big Ben's life miserable. He looked awful last week against the Jets. This week he says he's going to play without the gloves he wore. The gloves won't be the issue. The defense will be.




Oh, and I'll repeat this line I sent to Jon earlier in the week:

During last week's Steelers-Jets game, they flashed the stat that there's never been a 50+ yarder kicked at Heinz Field.

Paging Mr. Vinatieri... Mr. Vinatieri...the history books are on Line 1.

Patriots 16, Steelers 13




That line started at 2 and jumped a point. Tells you that the smart money is on the Pats. St. Ides has to post his “Big Ben is really Trent Dilfer” postulate. After I read that, I was convinced too. Here’s my take: if Peyton Manning couldn’t score on the Pats, what in the name of Christ is Roethlisberger going to do? Maybe the Steelers keep it close with their D. Maybe Bettis (who gets the start) can grind out some yards. Ultimately the Patriots are the class of the league and find a way to win.

Patriots 13 – Steelers 6. P.S.: take the under.




(Editor's note: The St. Ides “Big Ben is really Trent Dilfer” postulate appears in the previous post about Super Bowl Hype. :P )



3 comments:

  1. as always excellent. Everyone is agreed on the Pats, but the NFC is another thing altogether. I have to agree with Philly pick, as I think the snow will eliminate the human highlight reel, in fact it will force him to throw the ball to win (think elway arm, fielder accuracy)....it aint happening

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gentle Reader,

    Your comment about Vick's arm reminded me about something I heard years ago regarding Jets all time great Browning Nagle: "He's goat a million dolar arm and a ten cent brain". The only difference between Nagle and Vick is Vick can run like Jesse Freakin Owens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gentle readers:

    Of course that should read "He's got a million dollar arm and a ten cent brain", though Nagle was the goat of many a Jets loss.

    ReplyDelete