Friday, January 7, 2005

Wild Card Picks

It's playoff time! Woohoo! I'll cut the BS and get straight to the picks...

St. Ides in blue, Samichlaus in green.



SEAHAWKS (-4) over Rams

Well, I usually pick against the Seahawks to provide a little emotional comfort for when they lose. I could always say, "Well, yeah, they lost.. But at least I picked against them and got a win in my pools!" Not this time. I really and truly believe they are exactly where they need to be to go on a run: The media bashing them for not "deserving" to win a division title, nobody left on their pre-season bandwagon, a little bit of controversy with Alexander's "backstabbed" comment after he came up a yard short of the rushing title, and a team that still has enough offensive talent to really light up the scoreboard. Plus the Rams still have Mike Martz coaching them.



Plus we get gems like this one from ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs04/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=1959787 Here's a little quote from "expert" John Clayton: "It's actually hard to figure out why the Seahawks are favored by four points. The Rams have their number." Well, John, here's why: The Rams have Mike Martz coaching them and have lost to the likes of Miami. The only reason they are even in the playoffs is because the Jets suck and the Eagles mailed it in on Monday night two weeks ago. The Rams SHOULD have lost to Seattle in week 5, as they were behind 17 late in the 4th before the collapse. This Ray Rhodes defense will NOT collapse again, and I have a strange feeling they'll play an inspired game and force several turnovers. Chad Brown will be back. Grant Wistrom might even be back, which would be huge lift. The Seahawks haven't won a playoff game in 20 years. 20 years. I was 10 at the time. And, honestly, I don't even remember it. They're due. Seattle 34, Rams 26.



This is the time of year when I most question my own judgment. As I pondered this game, I began to think that the Seahawks are better than I give them credit for and the Rams are worse than I give them credit for. Especially the Rams. I look at that team, close my eyes, and imagine it’s five years ago. Then I pick them to win. On the other hand, I perceive Seattle to be the team that (a) drops passes, (b) has defensive collapses and (c) says dopey things like “We want the ball and we’re gonna score! Wheeeeee!!!!” Well, Seattle won the division and yes the Rams beat them twice, but this time I think they pull it out. I’m taking Holmgren over Martz by 3 in what will turn out to be the best game of the weekend.

Seattle 34, Rams 31




CHARGERS (-6.5) over Jets

The Jets just aren't that good. They proved this last week by losing to the Rams, a game they thought they needed to make the playoffs. Buffalo losing let them "back in" (as everybody loves saying) into the playoffs. The Jets just aren't as good as their record indicates. Pennington has a weak arm. Curtis Martin was the oldest RB to ever win the rushing title (and he barely did), and the only RB to ever win it without a single run over 25 yards all season. Oh, and the Jets only beat 2 playoff teams all season - the Chargers in week 2 before they came together, and the Seahawks. The best part about this game will be the Pennington and Herm Edwards interviews after they get dismantled. Will they be hostile, or humble? Chargers 30, Jets 16.



What’s strange about this game, and I’m saying this as someone that is at worst indifferent about the Jets and at best will root for them because my Cousin likes them, is I see a total Jets collapse. Call it a hunch, call it intuition, but I think that the Jets (in light of their week 2 victory over the Bolts) will be completely unprepared, and the Bolts are going to have their orgasm. It’s a pull it out of the ass and come on the face of the Jets victory for the Chargers.

Chargers 41, Jets 10




COLTS (-10) over Broncos

10 points is a LOT to give in the playoffs... Even for a ridiculously potent offense like the Colts. I picked the Broncos originally, and really should pick them and want to pick them. But until I see Jake Plummer win a game that matters (and beating the 3rd stringers last week doesn't count), I will continue to bet against him. Dwight Freeney ought to be able to get enough pressure on Jake to force 2-4 picks, and that's just enough for the Colts to win by 2 TDs. Colts 38, Broncos 24.




I must be mad, because there’s a little voice inside my head going “The Broncos are going to WIN!!!!” Yup, lets just call that insanity. Can’t happen, right? That’s still Jake Plummer out there. Besides, Indy is a first round wrecking ball. One final historical lesson I learned years ago… one Monday night my cousin and I had some money on the Broncos for a MNF game. The Broncos were having a dominant year. They were playing a mediocre team and the spread was really low. Easy money. So we sit at the bar like always and the bartender says “Who do you boys have tonight?” and we gleefully reply in the gayest unison “The Broncos!” He just smiled, drew us a couple of beers and quietly said “They suck on the road”. They lost that night…

Colts 38, Broncos 17




PACKERS (-6) over Vikings

The press is making a big deal about how it's hard to beat the same team 3 times in a single season, but the numbers don't support that argument. I believe I read that out of 8 times a team had a chance for the 3-game sweep since the NFL went to the current Wild Card format, it's happened 4 times. That's half the time for you who have trouble with math. So, let's stick with the scientific approach and say it follows the 50/50 trend: Rams fail to complete the 3-game sweep of Seattle, and the Packers pull it off. I'm happy, Mr. Samichlaus is happy, and both Mikes Tice and Martz can get an early start on their golf games. Maybe Wayne Fontes is available to give them some pointers. Throw in Samichlaus's insider tip from last week about the Vikes sucking outdoors (which they continued with by losing in Washington), and the Packers D holds up just well enough to cover. Packers 31, Vikings 24.




St. Ides needs to check his stats. The sweepers are 10-5 against the sweepees in post season play so ol’ St. Nick here is happier still. This game goes one of two ways: Packers win big or Packers win small. I’m going with the latter for 2 reasons. First, as much as I love the Green and Gold, folks this team just isn’t very good. The offense has been awesome, but the defense has been terrible. Although there are some talented players, there are few playmakers. Second, the Vikings play loose against the Packers. In fact the Vikings could have won either game this year. I think it’s going to come down to the last drive: Packers ball, about a minute and a half to go, score tied at 31, Favre brings them down field and with 4 seconds left Ryan Longwell trots out from 42….

Packers 34, Vikings 31.


No comments:

Post a Comment