Thursday, September 10, 2009

Brett the Viking

Thank God I am not 12 years old anymore. When Brett decided to play another season, only this time in the colors of a bitter rival I was sickened. But then I realized that this was the last gasps of an aging athlete and suddenly I felt pity for the man

I’m going to be 47 next week, and just writing that sends a chill down the back of my neck. I don’t feel old, I just know that I’m passing through middle age. I’m at a point in my career where most of my coworkers are younger than me, but I have to maintain my edge. I have to be smarter than them and better than them and I have to be a leader at all times. I guess that’s why I can’t say I blame Brett Favre for coming back for one more season. He’s at the end of his career. Where will I be when I am 63?

Favre as a Viking is like me working for Apple. And if I’m 60 and suddenly obsolete, and Apple offers me a job at the Apple Store I’m sure as hell going to take it. So Brett the Viking is a reality and the question is how will it go? I suspect that Brett will have some success because he truly is a gifted, talented athlete. I also suspect that his body will continue to fail him, because that’s what happens when you turn 40. I’m lucky in that regard: I rely on my brain. But if I tell one more child that Ben Franklin is on the penny…

For the first time as a fan I want to see Brett Favre fail. I want him to limp off the field after some brutal hit never to return. I’d prefer if that hit were delivered by Nick Barnett, or maybe B.J. Raji. But if Brett succeeds and has a great year there’s a part of me that will be smiling for him. Brett’s a natural born leader. As a Packer fan, I can’t root for him. But as a middle aged guy who grew up rooting like hell for him I can quietly say “Go get ‘em!
.

6 comments:

  1. I think we will doing ourselves a favor if we don't mention Favre ever again. Me being Sick of him is an understatement.

    Let's talk about Big Ben and his raping ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm sick of Favre too, but I was interested in hearing a Packers/Favre fan's perspective.

    Speaking of Big Ben and his raping ways, how about Troy Polamulu and that Madden Curse?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're shitting me? Not being a "gamer" I had no idea that Polamulu was on the cover of Madden!"

    Since we aim to please at SBS, I will not go out of my way to bloviate on Favre unless it is in the context of the season.

    I'm sick of him too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's fair. Curious about the Pats tonight. you KNOW the Bills will be blitzing every down - "make your helmet hit his knee"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holy Super Poop Batman. the pats aren't that good...yet. time will tell if their defense is any good. Mayo injured - if he's out - its shootout city, which actually makes fun games.

    The more I think about it, the Pats could put on a very entertaining season. ups/downs

    ReplyDelete
  6. I watched that game in disbelief. I kept waiting for the light switch to go on for Brady and it never seemed to happen... Near the end when the Pats were driving, I saw Brady throw an interception and I thought "He's done". I turned away from the TV for a few minutes and when I looked back not only had they scored but they were driving again.

    And then I saw Brady with this look in his eyes and I thought "Oh shit. There's the switch". There was no doubt they would score and win at that point.

    Right after the last TD they showed Dick Jauron, who I never thought much of as a head coach. He had that clueless Mike Tice look going on and I just laughed out loud. But the best part was T.O. leaving the field in disgust. He had that wtf am I doing in Buffalo look. Wait until it gets cold up there, or when he realizes in about two weeks that he isn't going to see the sun until April. What a effen tool...

    ReplyDelete