Saturday, October 8, 2005

The Picks you've been clamoring for

Note: Karen and I tried really hard to get these done yesterday. We started this on the flight from Cincinatti to Green Bay and got halfway done. When we got to out hotel last night (9:00 local time) after a Packer day I will never forget, we both promptly fell asleep. So, I will save my partner the trouble and post my picks in a seperate blog.

Greetings SBS fans! Karen and I are currently sitting at about 35,000 feet, above what appears to be farm land. We are in route to Green Bay to watch the Packers play the Saints. This will be the first of several blogs from the road, so let’s get right to the picks.

Last Week -
Samichlaus: 6-7
St. Ides: 4-9

Season -
Samichlaus: 29-30
St. Ides: 22-37




Ravens +1.5 over LIONS

First of all, the Lions aren’t very good. Second of all, they’re still talking about the “bad” call. Third of all, Joey Harrington is still their QB. I like the Ravens in this game. Ravens 17, Lions 7.

Bears +3.5 over BROWNS
Let me be the first to say, or to sing: “the Bears still suck”. Dilfer is a better QB than people give him credit for. In fact, Seattle has still not recovered from losing him. Cleveland wins, 19 to 10.

BILLS -2.5 over Dolphins

I like the Bills as well. The weather is getting colder (it’s 38 in Green Bay as we speak) and Miami is on the road. I think Nick Saban’s luck runs out. Bill 24, Miami 13.

Pats +3.5 over FALCONS

There’s no way that the Patriots lose this week. Last week’s embarrassment is motivation enough for the Patriots to trounce Vick’s herpes infested penis. (Okay sports fans. This is Mrs. Samichlaus here. Since we ARE 35,000 feet in the air and Steve, with his big man-hands, can’t type worth a crap on these tiny this little lap top keys, I’m playing secretary. Can I tell you how odd it is on a plane full of people to have my husband lean over and whisper the words “Vick’s herpes infested penis” into my ear as I’m popping peanuts? I wouldn’t even think to make this stuff up. I now return you to your regular Samichlaus programming…) Patriots 31, Falcons 24.

PACKERS -3.5 over Saints

Since Mrs. Samichlaus is doing such a fine job taking dictation, I’m going to let her do this next prediction. Take it away Mrs. Samichlaus!

Just 3 sentences ago I was repeatedly typing “Vick’s herpes infested penis” and now my husband is asking me to type the word “DICtation” and “preDICtion” expecting me not to laugh at all the damn scrotum connotations.

That said, I have a different way of looking at the games. I chose on how my luck is running or a specific tight end’s tight end that I can’t get out of my head. (Sorry hum, let’s just call that poetic license.) This morning flight took off at 6:30 AM. We had to run to catch the plane and jump it as they were closing the doors. Our connecting flight had us, again, as the last passengers boarding. So my thoughts are: Packers are gonna pull this one through. But only at the last possible moment and only after handing out collective heart attacks from the adrenalin rush.
Packers 24, Saints 21.

RAMS -3.5 over Seahawks

Bubba Franks’ ass. I didn’t need to think about that. I’m taking Seattle to win this game. Although Seattle got out-coached last week, I think that St. Louis’s head coach is even more over-rated than Mike Holmgren. Seattle comes back and wins a big one on the road. Seattle 34, St. Louise 31.

Bucs -3.5 over JETS

I don’t what the odds makers are thinking on this game. Seriously. The Jets may get shut out, but we’re not going to write that here on the odd chance that my cousin still reads this blog/. The Jets don’t have a prayer against the Bucs. Tampa 17, Jets 3.

Titans +3.5 over TEXANS

This one qualifies as the Samichlaus Stinker of the week, but I’m going to buck conventional SBS wisdom. I like Papa St. Ides’s approach: take the home dog. Why? These are two bad teams, period. I think the home dog rule will trump the ineptitude of David Carr and company. Texans win 24 - 17

NINERS +14.5 over Colts

Cool! We were just having a discussion about point spreads and the ubiquitous “half point”! The things married couples talk about as their 3rd anniversary approaches…. Anyway, I’m going with the Colts and the points. The Colts broke out of their offensive funk last week, and their defense is the real thing. The only thing that could trip them up is overconfidence (historians: check out the Packers / Colts game from 1997 that defined overconfidence). I’m predicting the Colts win this one college style.

Colts 41 Niners 17

CARDINALS +3.5 over Panthers

My though is that the Cardinals have had the dribbling shits most of the week. Mexico can do that to you (as opposed to RON Mexico, which gives you the “blistering penis”). I really like the Cats, and I really like John Fox. I also think Denny Green is overrated along with his Cardinals. My apologies to Papa St. Ides, but I’m contradicting everything I said before… Panthers 27 Cardinals 13

Eagles -3.5 over COWBOYS

Well, I don’t know about this one. I think the Eagles are still the cream of the crap that is the NFC. When the hell did that happen anyway? It was just a few years ago that the NFC was the dominant division… oh well, welcome to parity. Do I dare go against another home dog? Crap. I don’t know. OK, yep. Eagles 34 Cowboys 20

Redskins +6.5 over BRONCOS

The Skins are confident and the Broncos aren’t all that good. Still, 6 .5 is a lot to cover. Plus, the Skins aren’t blowing any one out. OK, take the Skins and the points and don’t be too surprised if they squeak by with a win. Broncos 21 Redskins 20

Bengals +2.5 over JAGUARS

Boomer Esiason called Carson Palmer the best young quarterback in the NFL. Palmer has done nothing to contradict that statement. However… the test of a good young team is to win on the road and I don’t think the Bengals are ready yet. I hope they prove me wrong, I’m actually starting to become a fan. Jaguars 27 Bengals 24

CHARGERS -3.5 over Steelers

This is a tough Monday night game. Pittsburgh is the better team. Is Rothlesb… uhh, Big Ben a better QB than Drew Brees? (Note to SBS fans: I have no clue how to spell his last name and I don’t care to look it up. You think the kid could sell a few letters to Ed Ott). I know a Steelers fan here in Richmond, a large African American dude, who is actually starting to make me believe the Steeler hype. Of course, that could be because he could easily rip the doors off my Camry and eat the upholstery if he chose to do so. OK I’m going with the Steelers. Steelers 27 Bolts 21

No comments:

Post a Comment