Monday, November 14, 2005

Guess the Packer!!!!

OK SBS fans, we're starting a new feature here at SBS! This feature is called guess the Packer. Every day or so Mrs. Samichlaus and I will post a picture that Mrs. Samichlaus took of a Packer signing our ball. Then she'll write about what it was like to meet him. Most were nice, some were not as nice, and that dick Aaron Rodgers signed our ball but wouldn't let Mrs. Samichlaus take his picture. So, here we go, can you guess who this is?

Here's a hint... he was the first round draft pick for the St. Louis Rams in 2002



He's Robert Thomas, starting Strong Side, or "Sam" Linebacker. He's an all around decent player who is beginning to realize his potential in Jim Bates's defense, something he never did for the Rams. Thomas has his own web site: http://www.robertthomas55.com. But what was it like to meet him? Well, Mrs. Samichlaus did...

Mrs Samichlaus:
Now, before I took a picture of any player, I always asked. These are seriously huge guys. They look smaller on TV. Squish their little heads sized. (SNL, anyone?) But trust me, they are BIG. And I know enough to not piss off those big boys a couple days before the game.

Most players said yes but never really gave a direct chance to take a photo. And only one player said an outright no to the photo... I'll tell that story just as soon as I figure out which signature on the ball belongs to him and precisely who the hell he was.(Mr. Samichlaus says it was Aaron Rodgers, but Mr. Samichlaus was warm and toasty in the atrium waiting to meet Deanna, Bonita and Scott Favre while I froze me Irish ars off in the 30 degree wind-swept parking lot outside Lambeau Field getting autographs. If ya don't mind... I'll decide who the hell drove away!)

So I always really appreciated the guys who paused long enough to give me a little grin. And what a grin! Robert Thomas has that cute little dimple and those sweet little chipmunk cheeks. He consistantly made eye contact, was interactive, and polite. He was an "Aw, shucks, M'am" kinda guy. And he was honestly thrilled to have me ask for both his signature and his photo. Look closely. The obscenely gelatenous man sitting beside/behind him? Even he was thrilled to have me asking for a moment of their time. This is a guy you wanna have over for dinner. Hell, I may even invite him over for Thanksgiving. I'm just hoping he leaves the large man home. I don't think our oven is big enough to handle the sized turkey that man would put away!

No comments:

Post a Comment