Thursday, February 3, 2005

Super Bowl Preview, Part 1

Okay, so the long two-week wait is almost over. We know that Owens is going to play. We know the Eagles are probably even a bit inspired by his "miraculous" return. We also know that the Pats coaching staff is smart enough to make sure he doesn't make any big plays that would breathe any life into their hopes of winning the game.



After reading a ton of the articles and hype out there over the past 10 days or so, It's going to be hard to write an original analysis of the game... But we'll give it a shot anyways.. :P



As always with our double analysis, Samichlaus in green, St. Ides in blue:



I'm getting the jump on St. Ides this time. Usually, I wait until he's emailed his picks to me. I carefully review his analysis, then simply go the other way. Sound advise for you gamblers out there if you want to succeed.



But seriously, here are my thoughts on the big game. First, I'm rooting for New England. Actually the whole family is rooting for New England. This was decided by mutual consensus last evening after a brief albeit impassioned discussion between Karen, me, and our friend Holly. The discussion went something like this:



Holly: I guess I'm going to root for New England because I'm from the north (editor's note: Holly is from Pennsylvania)



Steve: They're playing Philadelphia. They're from the north too. It's an all northeast Super Bowl (editor's note: Philadelphia is from Pennsylvania)



Karen: Philadelphia? I'm not rooting for those fucking animals. I'm rooting for New England! Go Patriots!



Steve: Yeah! I hate Philadelphia! Go Patriots!



Holly: Go Patriots! Who wants baklava?



Now, as far as the game goes...



Philly is going to play well for the first half. Their defense is solid and disciplined. I watched film of them against the amazing Michael Vick, and saw a unit play as well as I've seen all year. Defenders always in position, never breaking their lanes. Fast players who know how to get to the ball and tackle. I was impressed. Then again, I've watched the Packers play all year. My 1967 electric football game played more impressive defense than the Packers. You know the one, you line up the players and turn on the vibrator and away they go.



Oh, speaking of which, we were watching this Packer special a few weeks ago and they showed this little clip of Don Majkowski and Karen practically slid off the couch and said (and I quote) "Woah! Who's THAT?"



I didn't bother to answer.



Philly is going to play well. However, New England will play better. New England is the real deal. They're as good as it gets peeps and they have an offense. All you've got to know about Philly's offense is they signed Jeff Thomason. T.O. is not going to be a factor. Freddie Mitchell will not be a factor. Mc Nabb will play well but he won't be able to do it alone. By the fourth quarter, New England will begin to open it up. Brady will break down Philly's D. The final score?



That'll wait until tomorrow.



--------------------------------------

3 things I'm totally sick of hearing about:



1) T.O.

2) The Eagles claiming they get no respect.

3) The Patriots claiming they get no respect.



Read #3 again... What the?!?!? People are already calling them a dynasty, already putting them in lists of greatest teams EVER, already putting Brady on lists of best QB EVER, already putting Belichek on lists of best coach EVER... Yet they get no respect?!? The insane Rondey Harrison even went so far as to say nobody gave them a chance against Indy or Pittsburgh, despite them being a 6 point favorite ON THE ROAD in Pittsburgh. Uhm, Rodney, I hate to say it, but those spreads are made and adjusted by the peeps in Vegas based upon who people are betting on. To be that big a favorite on the road in the AFC Championship team, a TON of people were expecting you to win. Easily. Jesus H. Christ.



In some "under the radar" (ie, non-TO) news, Richard Seymour will be playing. That's a nice boost for an already dominant New England defense. I just don't see the Eagles offense doing much against this defense. I expect McNabb to be flustered and make a few mental mistakes. I expect their running game to go nowhere. I expect Freddie Mitchell and that construction worker tight end guy who just replaced Chad Lewis to both do absolutely nothing. Maybe even expect Harrison to take Mictchell's head off.



And speaking of Tom Brady... yesterday was college football's "signing day", where high school prospects committed to their schools. By all reports, Michigan had an awesome day. Depending what ranking list you read, they've been rated as having between the 2nd and 5th best incoming class of freshmen in the nation. Always hard to tell how these things will pan out, but they basically got a Top 10 prospect in almost every single position, including multiple Top 10s in a few positions like the O-Line and D-Line. I predict a National Championship for the Wolverines in 2006 - Chad Henne and Michael Hart will both be juniors, and the cream of this freshman crop ought to be contributing by then. Hell, maybe even a repeat if both Henne and Hart (who could both be Heisman candidates) stick around for their senior years.



More on the Super Bowl tomorrow. :P


1 comment:

  1. I am eagerly awaiting todays scores. Its funny cause all this hype actually caused me to actually think the Eagles actually might be able to pull this off....well for about 3 seconds.

    The Pats in a romp. The stats speak for themselves - last two years - Pats played 16 teams that had a .500 or better record (best in NFL) and went 15 - 1 (the one loss to Pitt without several key players)...Philly went .500 against said .500 or better teams, and was 0 - 4 I think against AFC teams, including a 31 - 10 drubbing at home against my Pats

    ReplyDelete