Friday, February 4, 2005

We had the answer all along

In my post titled "Taking the Schott for Slowik, I mentioned Mike Sherman's less than professional behavior to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel's Tom Silverstein. In response to an inaudible question, Sherman miffed "Why don't you ask one of your unnamed sources. They're more reliable than me. Next question"



I've been wondering what Silverstein wrote that ticked Sherman off, and have not been able to find it until today. This excerpt is from an email I sent to St. Ides dated January 13th. On January 15th, Ted Thompon was introduced as GM. On January 17th, Sherman held his press conference.



I'm posting this as a reminder to our loyal reader, err, readers that your one stop shop for all the best Packer and Seahawk information is Sports Blog Steves (as if you needed convincing.)



Sherman may soon be out as Packers' GM

Harlan reportedly wants to hand off duties to Seahawks' Thompson



By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: Jan. 12, 2005



Green Bay - Green Bay Packers president Bob Harlan is poised to strip coach Mike Sherman of his general manager duties and pursue Seattle vice president of football operations Ted Thompson as his next GM, two National Football League sources familiar with the Packers said Wednesday.



I'll bet this is how Yikes found out. The sonofabitch was probably surfing the Web and read that he had lost his GM position.



There are several more references to unnamed sources including "One NFL source said Harlan had no choice but to wait until the new GM is on board to discuss an extension. He said Harlan might have to forgo the extension and risk losing Sherman after the 2005 season." as well as "One Packers source said he doubted Sherman would not accept his new role willingly and work as hard as he could to get along with the new GM. His future in Green Bay might depend on how well his personality meshes with the new GM, however."



You know, if I found out this way that I was losing my job, I'd be a little miffed too... but at my employer, not the reporter. What ever happened to "don't shoot the messenger"?



email me at samichlaus@beerdrinkingfools.org

No comments:

Post a Comment