Friday, August 12, 2005

Packers - Chargers preseason game.

During the second quarter of last night’s preseason opener between the Packers and the Chargers, safety Mark Roman appeared to pull up on a tackle and let a Saints receiver run past him along the sideline. My wife, who had been watching the game with marginal interest up to that point nearly leapt off the couch.

“I HATE that”, she yelled, “when players pull up like that because they don’t want to get hurt! That’s (unacceptable)! What a (sissy)! Players like that should be lashed after the game! The coach should tell them ‘If your afraid to get hurt now, wait until I get you later’. (Golly) I really HATE that.” She paused and looked at my jaw-dropped face staring back at her. “What? You don’t agree?”

I think lashing might be pushing it.

Preseason games are glorified practices and we got to see a good one. The Packers offense is focused on getting the line ready so they called a lot of runs early on. By their third possession, they were ready to unleash Favre and he delivered. The third drive was a thing of beauty, and Favre showed some of that mobility he’s worked so hard to recapture. Favre spread the ball around, hit Antonio Chatman with some mid-season touch on a fourth down out pattern and connected with Donald Driver for the score.

The defense is learning the ropes and Jim Bates kept it simple. With Cletidus Hunt and Grady Jackson out, Donnell Washington and Corey Williams got the start and played adequately. At this stage adequately works for me. Nick Collins looked like the real deal, but that could also have something to do with the big “36” on his chest. I liked what I saw from third stringers Mike Montgomery and Roy Manning, who both made plays in the fourth quarter.

So I hate to break it to my wife, but no honey I don’t agree with you this time.

The fact that the veteran Roman was in position to make the tackle was good enough for me. Last season I considered Roman to be the worst player on the worst defense in Packer history. To see him actually where he was supposed to be was a huge accomplishment. Of course, if he does the same thing on opening day then be gone with him, or as we like to say around my house “Right again honey”.

I don’t expect to determine much from last night’s game. With a few exceptions, the starting lineup is set. The players who are expected to carry this team will do so. The players who back them up will rise to the occasion if need be. There will be one or two surprises and one or two disappointments. This is a good team folks and don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. There’s a good balance of veterans and youth, and the best coaching staff that we’ve seen in years in place.

So go ahead and dream. And if you see Mark Roman pull up on a tackle in a meaningless game, just relax.


Insights into a happy marriage

I’m not sure how this all got started, or how I’ve let it get so out of control, but my wife does this thing where every time the camera shows Brett Favre she’ll pounce on me and tickle me unmercifully. Somehow last season she convinced me that this helps the Packers win, and I must admit: they were 1 – 4 in the pre-tickle era and an amazing 9 – 2 during the wrath of tickle. It’s not just armpits ether. She’ll dive for my feet, grab my thigh, and in the most bizarre of bizarrities, will poke me in my rather copious belly button which she calls the “love hole”.

The media obsession with Favre was never more evident than last night. Every other shot was of Favre. Favre in the huddle. Favre on the sidelines. Favre (no kidding here) picking his nose. It was brutal. By the end of the game I was so tickled out that the thought of being touched literally made the hair on my neck stand up. It’s halfway through Friday and I’m still not over it.

On the other hand I sure laughed a lot.

Laughter is the key ingredient in a happy marriage and I’ve got the happiest.

eMail me at samichlaus@sportsblogsteves.com

No comments:

Post a Comment