Monday, August 29, 2005

St. Ides AFC Preview

It's preview time! But first, an update on my Madden '06 XBox season..

Well, my Seahawks finished the season at 15-1.Lost the final game in Green Bay, 31-28. My kicked missed yet another game-ending field goal, this one a 35-yarder with about 40 seconds left. I swear, I suck at the kicking in this game. But considering I was down 31-7 at one point (due to two muffed punt returns, one of which was ran back for a TD), I really deserved to lose. Anyways, since then, I've beaten Tampa Bay and Carolina in the playoffs, and sit poised to face New England in the Super Bowl. No clue how Tampa made the playoffs, but, then again, Seattle probably won't go 15-1 this season either.. At least the Super Bowl should be a challenge.

So I figure it's about time to do an preview type thing. I'll try not to get too ridiculously long with the analysis, but what the hell, it's fun to predict things. I'll start with the AFC, and do the NFC later this week…

East:
1.) Patriots - They're still the two-time defending champs. Still the team to beat. They lost a couple players and their coordinators, but I think they'll be allright. They do have a tough schedule though, so I don't really expect them to totally run away with the division. Let's say 11-5.

2.) Bills - The J.P. Losman project begins. Their D and running game should be solid, which is good for a young QB. They came on strong at the beginning of the season, and really only missed the playoffs cause Drew Bledsoe didn't win games for them. He's gone now. 9-7.

3.) Jets - I have some questions about Pennington's arm. And, really, his talent. I mean, I know a lot of people kiss his ass, but how many season has he really gotten it done for the Jets? Not to mention Herm Edwards ranks right up there with the top coaches I consider retarded. Their defense will be okay, but between Curtis Martin being about 92 now, and Pennington choking, disappointing season all around. 7-9.

4.) Dolphins - A decent storyline with Ricky Williams returning, that other rookie RB in the backfield, and Nick Saban as coach.Their defense should be its usual solid self, though they may be more vulnerable to the pass than recent years with the departure of Surtain. But really their season comes down to two words: Gus Frerrotte. I don't even know if that's how you spell his name. 5-11.

North:
1.) Baltimore - As much as I hate Ray Lewis and Brian Billick, they should win the division this year. Should. Jamal Lewis is out of jail and ought to have something to prove. Kyle Boller has some more offensive weapons with Derrick Mason at WR and Todd Heap healthy again at TE. Of course, Boller could very well continue to stink up the place and single-handedly cost his team 2-3 wins. But I'm going with him. 10-6.

2.) Pittsburgh - I wrote at the end of last year that Big Ben was an illusion. I even compared him to Trent Dilfer in how he simply managed games and avoided mistakes and did not lose games. Here's my exact words, answering which hype is worse, for Vick or Big Ben
"I think the Ben hype is worse. For one simple reason: He hasn't really done jack shit yet to deserve it. Yes, his team won the first 13 games or whatever that he started. But they did it with an awesome D and running game. Imagine, if you will, if the year the Ravens won the Super Bowl that Trent Dilfer were a rookie. He managed the games, didn't make mistakes, and was an efficient passer when needed. What happened? He was a journeyman so he got almost no hype and wasn't even re-signed after they won the Super Bowl. Just because this kid's a rookie he's getting hyped like crazy. How many highlight film plays can you remember him making this season? Maybe one or two? Hell, I can't even think of one right now. "

So the illusion dissolves this year. Look for "sophomore slump" articles to appear all over the mainstream press by week 6. 8-8.

3.) Bengals - I almost put them ahead of the Steelers. Almost. I'm not completely sold on Carson Palmer just yet. But I think he has the tools around him and a decent young D to make a run at making the playoffs. Well, maybe next year. 8-8.

4.) Cleveland - New coaches and stuff. Trent Dilfer at QB. A bit of indecision who the top guy at RB will be. And Michigan alum (and #3 overall draft pick) Braylon Edwards at WR. They might take a step forward, but not a huge one. 7-9.

South:
1.) Colts - Yes, Manning is dope. But I still think it'd be tough to call him the best QB in the NFL when the Patriots absolutely kill him. I'll take Brady over Manning any day of the week. Is that my Michigan bias? Maybe. But I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who would agree with me who are not Michigan or Patriots fans. 11-5.

2.) Jaguars - I'm not sold on Byron Leftwich yet. Seems I've been writing that a lot about young QBs, eh? Well, here's the thing. Right now there are a LOT of QBs who are in their 3rd-5th year in the NFL, and the jury is still out on them. Conventional wisdom tends to say that if they've been starting for 2 or 3 years, and the offense around them keeps getting better, the QB should break out and become a solid starter. However, there are plenty of examples of QBs who have been put in position to succeed, and not done so. Hell, I'm going to dedicate another future article just on all the QBs on the verge of making or breaking their careers this year. In the meantime, the Jags D is solid enough to almost make the playoffs. 9-7.

3.) Houston - David Carr. See statement directly above. I like Domanick Davis. I like their receivers. Their D is okay. Their O-line needs to give Carr time. They seem to beat the tough teams (like Indy and Baltimore) but lose to creampuffs (like Tennessee or Cleveland). I just don't see them pulling it together this year. 7-9.

4.) Tennessee - This team is stuck in salary cap hell. They lost their top WR and top DB, and are moving into the Pacman Jones Era. Steve McNair should be injured by week 6, and Billy Volek will put up sick numbers throwing the ball. Sadly, their defense won't stop anybody. 5-11.

West:
1.) Chiefs - Their offense still looks good, and Priest Holmes should be healthy again. They still lack big-name WRs, but Tony Gonzalez catches everything in sight. Their defense should be better with the addition of Surtain in the secondary and first round pick Derrick Johnson at LB. If they stay healthy, they should run away with the division I think. 12-4.

2.) Chargers - Let's face it, the Chargers overachieved last year. Teams won't take them so lightly this year. Is Drew Brees for real? Some are claiming maybe he just had that one career year, and isn't as good as his numbers were. Well, he's a Purdue alum, so I got to see him light it up against Michigan a few times in college. I think he's for real. What I don't think is that the Chargers will be able to quite put together the same season they did last year. Although they should come close to a playoff spot. 10-6.

3.) Broncos - Looks like Mike Anderson will be the starting RB, and he should go for about 1200 yards. Jake Plummer will for about that many yards too, but to the wrong team going in the wrong direction. Jake Plummer is not a good QB, I don't care what people say. Oh, and their defensive line is now made up of mostly cast-offs from the Browns. Not exactly an elite defense to be stealing players from. 8-8.

4.) Raiders - The Kerry "Whiskey" Collins to Randy "I only smoke weed once in a blue moon" Moss ought to be an interesting thing to watch. And a lot of people are saying LaMont Jordan will be great as a starting RB. But their defense sucks, led by Warren "I don't know when to shut up even though I'm 5 years past my prime" Sapp. By week 10, Moss ought to be pouting and feuding with Sapp. 6-10.

Playoffs:

Wild Card Round:
Ravens 20, Bills 17
Colts 31, Chargers 28

Divisional Round:
Patriots 33, Colts 18
Chiefs 29, Ravens 20

AFC Championship:
Patriots 26, Chiefs 24

No comments:

Post a Comment