Sunday, January 13, 2008

Next?

In the end, there was no doubt that the better team won. I heard some radio head say that the team with the one true superstar prevailed, but the reality was the Packers victory came down to so much more than the performance of Brett Favre. It was truly a team victory, a victory won at the line of scrimmage where the offensive line of the Packers exposed the overrated* Seahawks defensive front, and opened holes for the heretofore unheralded Ryan Grant that the most advanced TBM would be envious of...


I have to admit: five minutes into the game I had already started softening my depression with happy thoughts of "at least St. Ides is happy! Good for him!", and wondered how early on Monday would Anonymous be puking from the conciliatory fluff piece I was sure I would have to write. But then something happened: Brett Favre (as St. Ides predicted) kept his cool and Ryan Grant started holding on to the ball. It's hard to describe how dominant the Packers were from that point on, but the facts speak for themselves: six times the Packers took possession and six times they scored a touchdown. Ryan Grant set a franchise record with 201 yards rushing in less than ideal conditions while Greg Jennings led the receiving corps with 7 receptions for 60 + yards. Favre was accurate and poised, and Seattle had no answer for the Packers well balanced attack

On the other side of the ball, the defense was stellar. After spotting Seattle 14, the Packers D took the game on their collective shoulders and limited the Seahawks to 3 measly points. Atari Bigby, who earlier in the week had been fined by coach Mike McCarthy for arriving late to practice on Friday, had a monster game. Bigby absolutely crushed Marcus Pollard (causing a key fumble) and Bobby Ingram on consecutive possessions, putting the fear of God into D.J. Hackett. Hackett then dropped a key 3rd and 7 pass with Bigby in pursuit.

So lets get to my observations, shall we?

The first time I thought the Packers had a chance after the initial 4 minutes: The Packers had third and 7 from their own 48. Seattle blitzed 5 on a stunt. The Packers picked up the blitz, Favre stepped up, and hit James Jones for 31. It occurred to me that the O line looked pretty good.

Where's Pat? Seattle's All Pro Defensive lineman Patrick Kearney looked like the second coming of Reggie White against the Redskins last week, and I'm talking about the thin muscular USFL Reggie White at that. Of course, everybody knows that the Redskins O line isn't very good, right? Kearney's stats against Packer tackle Mark Tauscher? Tackles: 0 Assists: 0 Sacks:0 Passes Defended: 0 Quarterback Pressures: (wait for it).... 0. In all fairness to Kearney, that is the first time he's ever been shut out in his illustrious 142 game career. Pat Kearney is truely a great football player. He's just not as great as Mark Tauscher.

Where's Pat part deux: After the game Kearney said this: "I came in with a lot of respect for (Tauscher). I expected, like Brett said this week, for them to put two guys on me. That's what they did. I don't care how many blockers are on me, I expect to overcome it and I didn't and I'm disappointed in that." Uhh, sorry Pat, Taush had you one on one 75% of the time.

Let's get this over with: I'm sure that by Sunday night we'll all have heard about that amazing play Brett Favre made stumbling to his right and under handing the ball to Donald Lee for a key first down. I'm not going to wax poetic on this, only because there's enough main stream media guys to do that, but I will say this: On the way home from my father in-law's on Saturday, Mrs. Samichlaus and I were discussing the game. I told her that when Favre first came up he used to do that kind of stuff all the time, but that now a days it's almost second nature. "When Favre first started", I said, "no one had ever seen anything like him before". And then I said to her "You know, when I was growing up, my uncles used to talk about seeing DiMaggio play, or seeing Babe Ruth play, and how great a time it was. I am so glad that I got to see Brett Favre play in my lifetime. I'll take Favre over all of them". And then I had to be quiet, so I could wipe the tears from my eyes.

Just Checking: Is Anonymous puking yet?

Random Reactions to St. Ides's Random Predictions: Ryan Grant did indeed fumble. Twice. And come to think of it he really didn't look the same after that. Hasslebeck did try a few pump fakes and I found out later that Atari Bigby did bite both Marcus Pollard and Bobby Ingram after laying their sorry latte drinking asses out. Poor St. Ides. It sucks being right all the time.

The other I-Genius: Mike McCarthy is turning out to be a hell of a football coach. McCarthy had the youngest team in the NFL prepared and well coached, which is more than I can say for Mike Holmgren's team. McCarthy also showed patience with Ryan Grant which also turned out to be the right decision. I have to say, after the second fumble Mrs. Samichlaus was ready to climb through the TV and pull Grant herself out of the game. I didn't disagree.

Time sucks: Fat and triple chinned, Mike Holmgren has not aged gracefully. He's always had that walrus look about him but recently he's really let himself go to pot. I saw his post game interview last night on NFL Network and all I could think was "time to retire". Not because the guy can't coach (he can) but because it's apparantly killing him.

Most Overrated.... Seahawk: Marcus Pollard Announcer: Kenny Albert (with an honorable mention to "Goose". I actually like Siragusa, he's smart as a whip and knows his stuff, but he cares more about the shtick than the game) Packer: Not sure. Up to yesterday I would have said Bigby, but not any more. St. Ides is going to be having nightmares about that guy for a while. I'll leave this one up to the readers.

Biggest non-story story: The kicker with the hot pants. Turns out that Josh Brown was effective. He kicked a 29-yard field goal in the second quarter and came back in the third quarter with a 27-yard field goal. That turned out to be the Seahawks' last score of the day, making it 35-20.

Report from the zoo: I thought the officiating was terrific. The zebras (IMHO) made all the right calls, including the re-spot of Bubba Franks and the incomplete pass by Hasslebeck. I'd like to hear St. Ides thought on this...

Final thought: Mrs. Samichlaus asked me who I wanted the Packers to play next week. Without hesitating I said "Dallas". Sure, it would be great if the Giants had to come to Lambeau field to play us. That's an easier path to the Super Bowl. But my thought is this, Brett Favre has two things people hold against him: the interceptions, and he's never won in Dallas. I have no doubt the Packers can win in Dallas. What better way to exorcise one more demon that to get to the Super Bowl through fucking Texas.

* overrated by St. Ides

6 comments:

  1. Congrats. The better team did win. Favre played a great game, as did the Packers defense.

    You know. I was going to root for the Packers next week. But after reading this, I think I've changed my mind.

    The refs were better than usual. The one glaingly bad call I saw was a phantom holding call right before the Pollard fumble. And they probably could have flagged Al Harris and Charles Woodson a couple times, but I guess that's home field advantage for you.

    One Seattle writer (who was actually at the game) said Kerney was double-teamed quite a bit. Hard to see on TV, so not sure how Samichlaus came up with a one-on-one 75% of the time number. Donald Lee didn't do much, maybe he was helping block as well?

    Oh, and remember when I said you can't fucking trust weathermen? Well, yeah, see what I mean? Not sure it would have made a difference, especially since both teams had to deal with it, but I think the snow neutralized some of the speed of Seattle's defense.

    Marcus Pollard had a fucking horrible game. Fumble, dropped a sure touchdown, and then dropped a first down on 4th down late. He won't be back next season.

    Oh well. I guess losing now is better than just being clobbered in the Super Bowl anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?

    You have to root for the Packers! I swear I would have been rooting for Seattle dispite you calling me out earlier this week as a plagerist. Besides, show me a little love: this is all original stuff.

    A couple of things: I missed the phanthom hold, so I'll keep an eye on that when they reshow the game on NFLN. Of course there was the phanthom no-hold on on the play where Cullen Jenkins got called for the phanthom personal foul (face mask). Come to think of it, maybe the officials weren't all that.

    Harris and Woodson play press coverage. Sometimes the uneducated eye sees that as holding. It's OK, I understand.

    75% statistic can be found here: http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=706542

    Donald Lee was quiet. He had a tough time in the cold against the Bears, so I imagine he was not a big part of the game plan. Yes, he stays in to block in max protect and running situations, but Bubba Franks is the better blocker.

    As far as the Super Bowl clobbering is concerned, all I can say is enjoy those sour grapes. I'll be proud to get my ass kicked by the Patriots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That wasn't the game I had envisioned - spotting 14 points, in the snow, shoulda been a shoe-in for the Seahawks. Based on that alone, the better team deinitely won.

    I think you guys need to discuss the Indy/Bolt game from an officiating standpoint. I have only witnessed one other complete hose job, perhaps as egregious as this game (Seattle vs Pitt SB). The Bolts were routinely cheated out of numerous game changing calls here, and ACTUALLY won. I was shocked about how badly the Colts were being favored, and I was a completely impartial viewer. I was embarrassed actually.

    Other than that Tom Brady is playing on a level that is ridiculous. Thank god he's on my team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Speaking of spotting points....The Pats opening line against the Chargers is....15!!!

    Are you fucking kidding me? 15 fucking points in the AFC title game!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is what I was afraid of - we might not see St Ides again. So Long St Ides!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Man, lots to address here. Being at work sux. During the day time I want to play too!

    1: I have never seen a QB play as well as Tom Brady is playing. Some jackass on the Jags said something along the lines of "It was a checkdown game. Of course he completed 92% of his passes" Huh? I swear that doesn't even dignify a response.

    2: I didn't see the Indy / Bolt game but what your saying doesn't surprise me. Sometimes even the fix doesn't go as the script writers plan. Another indication of the bredth and depth of the writers strike.

    3: Pats line is directly proportional to the injuries to LT, Antonio Gates, and Philip Rivers. That and the fact that the Patriots are fucking lights out.

    4: I think St. Ides needs a time out. He's going to go to his room, play with his toy beer trucks and sulk for a while. But he'll be back. At SBS, we always find our way back home

    ReplyDelete