Friday, January 25, 2008

A little Friday sports

Enough with the crickets! The only crickets I've heard around here was when I was blogging my ass off during the Packers Giants game. Did any of our loyal readers choose to participate? chirp * chirp * chirp * chirp * OK, enough about that. Let talk a little about the game from a Packers fan's perspective...


As I re-read my game day blog, it was obvious what was transpiring. The theme that carried through the posts was "The Packers need to get started, but man the Giants are playing well", and to quote an earlier post: simply put, the better team won. The Giants were absolutely flying to the ball, while the Packers played flat. The cold seemed to affect Favre more than Eli Manning, who by the way had a great game. I wonder if Favre's age is catching up to him? I saw a film of the last interception: Favre had Jennings open downfield, Grant open for a short first down and Lee open over the middle. He chose to to Driver, who was tigtly covered, and who out of his four choices was the worst possible choice.

Now that some time has passed and the bitterness of the defeat has worn off, I can honestly say that I'm already looking forward to next season, and its all because of my wife...

Towards the end of the game, when we both new the Packers were going to lose, Mrs. Samichlaus said the following: "It's better if they lose". I really didn't get that at first but she explained further.

"They're a young team. They're not ready. That's obvious! If they win this game, they'll go to the Super Bowl and lose to New England. Then they'll say "We were supposed to lose" and that would be the end of it. But losing at home to the Giants? This is going to stick with them all through the offseason. And next year, they're going to be hungry."

What really amazed me was that she came up with that while the game was on. And damn if it didn't make perfect sense.

In the end I was still depressed with the Packers loss. It took me a few days to get over it, and it helped that I've been inundated on my project at work. But what helped the most was Mrs. Samichlaus's words. And not just the words I mentioned above, but the words she said when the game was over...

"You know", she said, "If he comes back and plays one more year, I think we should go see him"

I love my wife!

1 comment: