Thursday, December 9, 2004

Week 14 NFL Picks..

New weekly feature! Sadly, the season is almost over, so you won't get a ton of mileage out of this piece, but here it is anyways.. A two-pronged attack on Week 14 in the NFL...



Ridiculous week this week. Just ridiculous. Only one spread smaller than 5 points, and only 6 less than a full touchdown. Yet 7 spreads over 9. Only 2 home dogs, but both are getting over 9 points as they host Philly and Indy. Well, your guess is as good as mine, but here goes... (Home team in caps.)





St. Ides picks in blue, Samichlaus picks in green:



PATRIOTS (-11.5) over Cinci

As my new favorite team, I have to go with the Pats. This one scares me just a little because Carson Palmer has been playing well lately, and sometimes the Pats don't pull out all the stops to smash lesser teams, but I think Carson's streak runs out in Foxboro.



Some sort of light went on in Cincy’s collective brain against the Ravens in the 4th quarter, but I suspect that the Patriots will close the refrigerator door. Pats Cover



BILLS (-9.5) over Cleveland

Garcia is still hurt. The Buffalo offense is finally clicking. And the new coach didn't exactly inspire the team last week.




The Bills are a real good team, honest. Bills cover



Giants (+10.5) over BALTIMORE

Yes, Eli has struggled. Yes, the Ravens defense will give him more trouble. But that's a lot of points to give for a team who's offense is pretty bad. Jamal Lewis is still out. Ravens win but don't cover.




I’ll bet the Giants are reviewing the film of that aforementioned fourth quarter Raven meltdown. Giants with the points.



PACKERS (-9.5) over Lions

Almost a bit hesitant to give that many points... But Harrington has been so damn erratic, Green Bay is back home after that Philly debacle, and the Lions defense probably won't keep GB from scoring at will.




This is a tough game for me because frankly I am pretty fucking far from alright after that Philly game… Detroit has a good RB and this Williams kid that can catch passes. I’m picking Detroit with the points



VIKINGS (-6.5) over Seattle

I'd almost take Seattle here. Almost. But I just can't. If Vinny and Keyshawn can move down the field and into the end zone at will, what will Moss and Culpepper do?



Both teams are equally desperate, but I’m taking Holmgren over Tice. Seattle keeps it close and maybe wins outright.



Oakland (+7.5) over ATLANTA

Michael Vick looked awfully mortal last week in Tampa. They're back home this week, but I'm still not sold on the Falcons yet. Plus the Raiders have been playing better. I'll take the points.



I just don’t see it. Oakland isn’t going to be able to stop Vick on the ground or in the air. I know this because it says so on ESPN.com. Insider too! Atlanta to win and cover.



Da Bears (+7.5) over JAGUARS

Suddenly Chad Hutchinson is their starter, and they throw for 3 TDs. The Jaguars don't blow people out. They'll win, but not by more than 10. The spread isn't quite 10, but I'll still take those points.



Everybody’s favorite skinhead is back on D for Chicago and it showed last week. I like the Bears with the points.



DALLAS (-7.5) over the Aints

Sing it with me now: Duh nuh nuh nuh, duh nuh nuh nuh, hey hey hey, goodbye! Haslett's last game, as Julius Jones runs for 592 yards and 11 TDs.




Please don’t make me sing. Besides, I’m supposed to be at work. I’ll just agree. Dallas is a different team with Dr. J.




Indy (-10.5) over HOUSTON

I'm sticking with Indy until

A) they don't cover.

or

B) the spread becomes 20+ points.




Keep on ridin’. Indy to cover



Jets (+6.5) over STEELERS

The Steelers were lucky to escape last week with a win. I think they probably win this one, but it'll be close.




I may have taken the Jets to win this one outright. BTW, did I mention that the Confederate Lee Lovers are on the leader board, a mere 4 picks out of first place? Lets go Jets….



Miami (+11.5) over DENVEREvery time I'm about to bet on Denver, I remind myself of two little words: Jake Plummer. Last week I switched my pick at the last minute once I remembered this, and sure enough, he cost them the game. Sadly, they were getting 3 and a half and only lost by 3, so they won with the points. 11 points is too many to give a team that will likely intercept him 4-5 times.



Deep breath… I can’t be reading that right can I? Denver is a different team on the road. Denver sucks on the road. Denver is at home. Miami is a warm weather team. This just reeks of Denver blow out. I’m taking Denver.



PANTHERS (-6.5) over Rams

Bulger out, Chris Chandelier in. He should last about 3 series before they bring in 3rd stringer Jeff Smoker. "Who's Jeff Smoker?," you ask? Rookie QB out of Michigan State who had a promising career.. until he got into off the field problems and spent some time in rehab. Oh, and it looks like Faulk and Stephen Jackson are both out too. Here come the Panthers for a playoff push!




Right on! Nobody has done more with less this year than John Fox. Cats win and cover.



CARDINALS (-6.5) over Niners

Josh McNown is back in at QB. Look for him to try and prove that him being bench in the first place was a BIG mistake. And I think it was. And if Dennie Green doesn't make that move, the Cards are a playoff contender right now. The Niners? Not a playoff contender. Definitely not.




I think the Niners are about 2 touchdowns worse than the next best team in the NFL. Cards win and cover.



BUCS (+5.5) over Chargers

I think this is the pick I'm having the toughest time with this week. Last week Tampa Bay shut out Atlanta. But San Diego continues defying all logic and keeps on winning. I'll going with the "upset special" pick here, though the Bucs might not win the game, I think they keep it close.




I think the Bucs are coming around, and eventually logic is going to catch the Bolts. This is the week. Tampa with the points



Eagles (-9.5) over WASHINGTON

If they can dismantle the Packers like that, what will they do to the Skins? Now, the Skins do have a much better D, but also a much crappier O. Look for Patrick Ramsey to throw a few key picks here.




Every week I pick against the Eagles and every week I lose. Why should this week be any different? Skins with the points.



Chiefs (+2.5) over TITANS

The Chiefs are still the same team people were picking to win the AFC. They've still got a ridiculous offense, even with Holmes out. Its the defense that's the problem. But I think the Chiefs come out ahead in this shootout, especially with McNair still hurt.




I like the Cheifs too in the “Samichlaus Suck-Ass Game of the week”.



Although this site didn't exist last week, I have those picks in my archives, so I'll start the records from there:

St. Ides: 9-7

Samichlaus: 11-5



No comments:

Post a Comment