Thursday, December 16, 2004

Week 15 NFL Picks

After a pretty awful week with picks last week, here's another attempt.. I picked way too many visitors this week, and I know it'll kill me, but screw it. Last week should pretty much guarantee I don't finish in the money in either of my pools. At least I won one of the weekly prizes, so I made my money back.



Home teams in caps, St. Ides picks in blue, Samichlaus picks in green. And away we go....





We have some Saturday games this week, woohoo! Though 2 of the 3 games are likely stinkers...



Pitt (-10.5) over GIANTS

Eli looks totally confused. I think his passer rating last week was actually 0.0. Although the Steelers are due for a bad game, this won't be it.



Eli sucks. In fact, it goes way beyond suck, but to exacerbate the problem the Giants defense sucks even more. The Steelers cover.



Redskins (-4.5) over NINERS

Skins showed something against the Eagles last week. Niners had a nice comeback against the Cardinals. But that's the Cardinals.



Plus the Redskins play D. Last week was the Niner’s season highlight film. I like the Skins too.



Carolina (+3.5) over FALCONS

I like the little run the Panthers have gone on, but they still need to keep winning if they expect to make the playoffs. Vick is so frickin inconsistent it's frustrating.



Carolina is a little slow on D, but the Falcons lost their fullback this week. I’m looking for the Cats to out-“Fox” the dirty birds. Cats wins it



Seattle (+6.5) over JETS

I know I'll probably regret this pick, but I just read that the Jets are only 1-3 against teams with a winning record. And that one win was an early one against a Chargers team that hadn't come together quite yet.. I'll take the points in this one, though I'm expecting Seattle to lose. Setting expectations low keeps disappointments less.... well, disappointing...



Some Patriots fan you turned out to be. I don’t know what to make out of these teams. I think Seattle’s better than their record and I think the Jets are worse than theirs, but is it close enough? Sure, why not. Seattle with the points. PS: Wayne Fontes: Still available.



Dallas (+12.5) over EAGLES

These are still division rivals and maybe Parcells learned something from watching the tape of the Redskins defense shutting down Philly last week? Maybe not, but I don't think this one's a blowout.



You’re probably right, but my eyes are still clouded by that recent devastation. Here’s how I see it: If the Packers can beat Dallas by 21, then lose to Philly by 30, then Philly should win by 51. Philly covers.



DETROIT (+3.5) over Vikings

This one is a toss-up. On one hand you have the Vikings who have to be in rough shape emotionally after last week's loss and the absolute beating Tice has taken for that Moss pass playcall. On the other you have a Detroit team who's been slightly disappointing and talk about benching Harrington. I don't like either team to get it done. But since we're on the 6th game and I haven't taken a home team yet, I'll go Lions and the points.



Ready for this? I think that Detroit wins outright in the Samichlaus Shocker of the week.



Chargers (-10.5) over BROWNS

Another home dog getting a ton of points. And I'm not taking them. Why? They only had 17 yards of total offense last week. 17 yards. Give me the ball 25 times and I'll probably even run for 17 yards in the NFL. Okay, maybe not, but still. I can't take them after a display like that. Plus they still have their 3rd string QB playing.



Sunday’s forcast for Cleveland: 33 degrees with Snow and Wind. Breeze defeats Brees. Cleveland with the points.



BEARS (-1.5) over Texans

The Texans are starting to look like a decent team. And they hung around with Indy last week. But they still have to learn to win on the road, and I'm not convinced Carr can do that yet. Not in Chicago in December.



The Bears are tough at home and David Carr is too pretty for Chi-town in December. “The Monsters of the Midway” win and cover



Aints (+8.5) over BUCS

Just when I'm talking about how bad the Saints are and how Jim Haslett is done, and how the Bucs are coming around and could make a playoff push.. both teams prove me wrong. So let's see if the previous trend or the new trend continues. I did so poorly last week, I'm beginning to pick against myself and hope that works better. If that makes any sense..



Absolutelty no sense. I have no idea who you picked. I like the Bucs at home. They may just pitch another shut-out.



Rams (-1.5) over ARIZONA

Looks like Bulger might play, but it's not definite yet. That'd be a huge boost for the Rams, who need a win to stay in the thick of the playoff hunt. McNown was disappointing in his return as a starter last week. As long as Chris Chandelier doesn't throw another 6 INTs, Rams should have enough talent to win this one.



The rule of the more desperate team is at play here. Rams are fighting for the division, Cards are fighting for respect. Division trumps respect, Rams win and cover.



Titans (+2.5) over RAIDERS

Jeez, the Titans put on a nice offensive display against the Chiefs on Monday night. They also couldn't stop anybody. Now, the Raiders are not the Chiefs defensively (which is good) or offensively (which is bad). But I think Tennessee still wins a few games with this Volek guy in there. Especially if the Raiders forget to cover Drew Bennett like KC did. Sheesh. Cover the fucking guy please!!!! Especially since I'm going against him right now in round one of my Fantasy Football playoffs. I went into Monday up 20 points. I am now down 13 due to Drew Bennett. Ugh.



The Raiders are FAVORITES? Has anyone in Vegas noticed that’s not Stabler and Belitnikoff out there? Remember the Titans….



INDY (-9.5) over Baltimore



I'm a bit hesitant to give this many points to a decent Baltimore team, especially after Indy barely squeaked out last week's win against the Texans... But Manning and co. are back home in the dome, on Primetime Sunday night, only needing 3 TDs to break Marino's record. Says here he throws 4.



Manning gets knocked out in the first quarter on a vicious cheap shot by Ray Lewis well after the whistle. Players and fans however notice something odd: Lewis seems smaller than usual, a little pale and his traded his game day gloves for Isotoners. Muffled screams can be heard from the Ravens locker room. Ravens with the points.



Pats (-9.5) over DOLPHINS

I just don't see the Miami offense breaking double digits against this defense. And that means all New England needs is about 19 points to cover. Done and done.



This one isn’t even close. The oddsmakers must be on drugs, and not the good kinds. I’m talking prescription laxitaves. Pats cover.



By the way, last week's records:

St. Ides: 4-12 (Overall: 13-19)

Samichlaus: 7-9 (Overall: 18-14)



1 comment: