Monday, January 9, 2006

Upon Further Review - Wildcard Weekend!

Well, we did this review stuff fairly inconsistently during the season, but figure it's easy to pick it up again during the playoffs since there's so few games to look at… And this week, I'd like to look more closely at my incorrect picks… Oh wait, there were none! That's right folks, St. Ides is off to a red-hot postseason start, going 4-0 this past weekend with his picks. But let's talk about them anyways…

St. Ides said: Redskins +3.5 over BUCANNEERS, 18-20
Actual Score: Redskins 17-10

I REALLY wanted to take the Skins, but didn't want to take 3 road teams to win outright, but I did take the points. (Even though 3 road teams DID wind up winning outright.) Here's the key quote:
"I think Simms is probably more turnover prone than Brunell, but only slightly." I should have written a bit more about how playoff games usually come down to the QB, and it was the case here too. Simms threw two key picks, including one to kill their chances of forcing OT on the final drive. Both balls were tipped at the line, but that's still got to be pinned on him. Anyways, now the Redskins go to Seattle for the Divisional Round game on Saturday, but we'll save analysis of that one for later in the week.

St. Ides said: PATRIOTS -7.5 over Jaguars, 24-13
Actual Score: Patriots 28-3
Here's some stuff I said that seems about right: "They're putting Byron Leftwich back in at QB, and it's not much of a stretch to say he'll be rusty. That rust could result in a turnover or two early which puts them playing from behind all game, and pretty much done. The Jaguars defense didn't impress me much, and some predictions that they'd be a great no-name defense seems a bit off."
What I failed to mention is how Fred Taylor wouldn’t do jack in this game. Leftwich wasn't awful, but he surely didn't make any big plays to put the team in position to win.

St. Ides said: Carolina +2.5 over GIANTS, 20-16
Actual Score: Panthers 23-0
I won't quote the whole thing I wrote, you can go look it up if you really want, but I was pretty dead on here. Except I expected the Giants to at least get on the damn scoreboard. And the Manning tradition continues, like so: "I believe it is the fate of Eli Manning to follow in the foosteps of his brother at this point: look pretty good during the regular season, and then choke in the playoffs." On one hand, I'm glad the Giants are gone because I hate Shockey so damn much. On the other hand, I would have liked to have beaten them ourselves, as Eli surely would have played even worse on the road. And the Panthers scare me a little. In fact, even before this past weekend, Jake Delhomme was the only NFC QB that I think scares me. He still is.

St. Ides said: Steelers -3.5 over BENGALS, 27-24
Actual Score: Steelers 31-17
Obviously, the whole complexion of this game changed once Carson Palmer went out with that knee injury, and former Seahawk Jon Kitna came in. He didn't play horribly, but it just wasn't going to get it done. Here's what I said before the game: "I do like the Bengals offense, but they're still pretty young and inexperienced. And the Bengals defense isn't exactly great. Look for the Bus to carry a few people into the end zone, and for Big Ben to continue to make me regret calling him an over-hyped Trent Dilfer."
That's pretty much what happened, the Bengals defense just couldn't keep it together. And did you see that trick play with the direct snap to Randel-El, who threw it back across the field to Big Ben, who threw it 40 yards for the TD? That was the nail in the proverbial coffin for the Bengals. Tough break about Palmer, but I don't think they would have won this game even with him in.

Anyways, next week gives us:
Washington +9.5 at Seattle
New England +3.5 at Denver
Pittsburgh +9.5 at Indy
Carolina +3.5 at Chicago

Winners go to the Conference Championship Games, losers go home. Look for more analysis all week, especially taking a closer look at Seattle's chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment