Wednesday, September 28, 2005

How Does This Guy Keep His Job?

More proof Dr. Z is an idiot.

Seahawks, ranked #9 this week in his Power Rankings:
Seattle Seahawks (2-1)For the first two games, they were blanked in the second half. Against the Cardinals, they got off the schneid. Mike Holmgren's comment in his postgame press conference was, "I told you we'd score in the second half, and I was right, wasn't I?" This note came from our correspondent's file, and there's no indication of the tenor of his remark, but I hope Mike was being sarcastic. If he was serious, then he, the Hawks, and his friends are in big trouble.

Really, this guy should be dragged out and beaten. Following the Falcons game, someone in the press pointed out that Seattle hadn't scored in the second half. Holmgren made a tongue in cheek comment, guaranteeing that they would score a touchdown in the second half sometime this season. He guaranteed it. After the Cardinals game, he made this comment, jokingly, reminding everybody of his broad "sometime this season" prediction.

First of all, A) it shows he knows NOTHING of Holmgren's personality and how he relates to the media in these press conferences. B) all it takes is reading a few press conference transcripts from head coaches during the week to be aware of this situation, and C) not only was this in his press conferences, but ESPN and I think maybe even NFL.com mentioned the remark in their "Game Previews" during last week. So not only was this not buried deep in long transcripts, but competitor websites had somehow realized it. Oh, and D) if he was being serious, why, exactly, would that put our team in trouble? What a frickin moron.

I mean, if this was my full-time job, I would be reading/watching EVERY head coach press conference, especially teams I'm going to rank in my top 10. What it SHOULD say for Seattle is something like this:

"The Seahawks did what they should do if they want to win the division - handily beat a mediocre team at home. With the well-balanced offense clicking, the receivers' dropping woes seemingly a thing of the past, and an improving young defense, it will be interesting to see how they handle the upcoming two big road games at Washington and St. Louis."

1 comment:

  1. I like the way you worded it better too. Imagine if we did our jobs the way Z does his: A user comes to me and says "My computer has this error message. It says 'Fatal error. Click here to fix' so I did and now it's downloading some fixit software. Is it serious?" I reply "I'm not going to check out the facts, or do any research on this. I think I'll just say something clever and sarcastic, and send you on your way".

    I'd be fired in a heartbeat.

    ...but that's exactly what the good Doctor is doing.

    ReplyDelete